Socials and Drop-Ins
|WHEN||3rd Sunday 2-4 PM: 11/22 – 12/20 – 1/17 – 2/21 – 3/21|
|WHERE||Longmont Athletic Club. 10 Mountain View , Longmont 80501 (303-772-4700)|
|LIMIT||Limited to 16 Players per event.|
|FORMAT||5 rounds doubles 1/2 hour each. 4 Courts 4 players per court. First court 4.0-4.5 players, Second court 3.5 players, Third court 3.0 players. Fill in with 3.5 players if needed,|
|COST||LTA Members play for $12 and nonmembers $22.|
|WHAT TO BRING||due to COVID – no snack/drinks to share. Must sign Covid waiver for LAC at door.|
We host informal tennis games/matches on Saturday mornings. This is a great way to meet new players and kick off your weekend with some recreational tennis. There is no charge for this event and you do not have to be an LTA member. Drop-in start times vary as the season progresses, and may not be held for example during holiday weekends (or when there is a foot of snow on the courts). See the blog below for up to date information on the Drop-Ins each Saturday regarding court location or time changes.
2020 Drop-In Location: Longmont HS Tennis Courts
Dates: Every Saturday – weather permitting
Times: Current Start Time 8:30 AM
Typical drop-ins work as follows, with variations from week to week:
- People show up at will on Saturday mornings – how many show may vary from week to week. Ideally, you should show up a few minutes early to warm up before play begins
- Doubles is the objective. The initial team assignments may be made by the organizer, although this process can be more ad hoc
- Play is organized in rounds, typically 30 minutes in duration. At the end of a round, which often occurs before a set is completed, winners are determined. Various ways are used to determine winners if the game score is tied when the whistle blows.
- Then there is a “shift change”. For example, when the round ends, losers of a round may move to the adjacent court to the East and winners move West. Then, to make things interesting, the new court assignments are swizzled, such that no two players are on the same team twice. The effect is that over say 4 rounds, you will have a chance to play with 4 different partners.
- Rinse, lather, repeat for two hours or so. Some variation should be expected depending on how many participants we have. There is often opportunity to play some singles as well, for example
See you on the courts!